Tuesday, September 10, 2013

BB10 Brainstorming: Fingerprints



I’ll go right out and say it, I think Apple’s Touch ID is a great idea if it works the same as in the demos. I am in that group where I never have password lock on my device. Not even pattern lock. It might be something that takes perhaps seconds to input, but it adds up.


Let’s say that each unlock takes an average of 2 sec. If I unlock my phone 30 times a day, that’s a minute gone. And I certainly unlock my phone more times than that in a day. But it’s not just the time it takes, it’s the delay between me wanting to use the phone and when I actually can use the phone that I can’t stand (yes, I can be impatient at times). It’s like you’re trying to sprint in a race, but there’s a hurdle placed in your path. It slows you down.

Moto X’s trusted bluetooth device that will keep your phone unlocked when it is paired to a bluetooth device that you’ve set to be trusted. Like a headset, or smartwatch for example. Great idea too, but I really don’t use much peripherals with Bluetooth. Which is why I think biometrics is a good enough solution since it’s something I always have with me.

Even before Apple’s announcement I have been wanting BlackBerry to implement something similar. Since as we know, BlackBerry is a manufacturer known for their security, I thought this type of feature is right up their sleeves.

Anyway, here’s how I envisioned it. With BB10 we can “swipe up from the bottom bezel” to unlock the device. As you finger activates the display, an icon shows you where to place your finger.



Not sure if it is technically possible, but it would be great if the biometric sensor can be part of the touch screen itself. Like just a small portion of it.



Once in place the sensor scans your fingerprint (preferably as quickly as possible). Then once done you can continue the gesture to unlock the deice fully by continuing the swipe up gesture. If not you can lift your finger to get to your lockscreen notifications preview.



Ideally, the pause for the scanning process will be a matter of milliseconds. Or even better if I can just swipe a little slower and use a smooth swiping gesture without stopping.

Simple and straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment