Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Re-Imagining the Q10


Well, the picture speaks for itself. I am imagining a Q10 that is more Z10 than Bold 9900, meaning a more boxy look. Well, before I explain why, let me just show you the back, and first explain what I changed exactly.


If you look at the 2 image I posted, I simply changed the shape a little, a rounded rectangle much similar to the Z10’s. Move the logo to the bottom of the display so that it is in line with other BlackBerry Device utilising the new QNX kernel, namely the Z10 and the PlayBook. This move also gives the bottom bezel a bit more room so that it is easier to activate the “Home” gesture. Something which I have heard a few reviewers complain about. I kept the rest of the phone the same, including height and width, along with the materials.

—-

When we first caught a glimpse of the Q10 in a leaked marketing video, the Q10 was still named by many as the N-Series. Yeah, that was quite a while ago now. My first thoughts were not exactly positive. It is not that I do not like the design of the Bold 9900, I do like it a lot, and Q10 does look really fantastic. But it is just that I feel like the design should speak “BB10”, not “BBOS”. It should look more in line with the Z10’s design language rather than the Bold. BB10 signifies to me the next generation of BlackBerry devices, a new beginning if you could call it that. Thus, the design should not speak “BBOS” to me, or remind me too much of an older phone, it should tell me straight in the face that this, is the new BlackBerry.

BlackBerry chose to make it more similar to the Bold 9900. Perhaps it is to keep that iconic shape, look, and feel of traditional BlackBerry devices. Perhaps it is to make their older BBOS users feel more at home. Who knows?

Nonetheless, the Q10 is by no means an ugly looking phone. If anything, the design simply oozes luxury. The material used looks fantastic, and if reviews are to be trusted, feels fantastic too. On its own, it is simply brilliant looking. Much like the Z10 on its own. BUT, my very minor (perhaps unwarranted) gripe is just that when the 2 device are placed side by side, they hardly look like they belong with each other. Maybe they indeed do not, since they cater to different demographics. So maybe this is all just my overactive mind over-thinking. It certainly is not going to stop me wanting it, but its just a question that I wonder indeed, every time I look at my Z10, and then the Q10.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment