Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Apple iPhone 5C



When the iPhone 5C first launched, my first thought was “who would buy an iPhone 5 with a plastic shell? Why not just go with the iPhone 5 which has a premium metal body?”. That is until I recently bought an iPhone 5C for my own use.


Yes. It is pink. Unapologetically pink. In fact this is my first pink phone, and I find myself really liking it actually.



The iPhone 5C has a polycarbonate body with a metal reinforced frame, and it feels like it. It’s solid and sturdy, much like many of Nokia’s Lumia flagship devices. The buttons all gives a really solid click, and even the slim tray fits extremely well. There is nothing cheap about the built of the device. The surprising thing, is that I actually find it more comfortable to hold compared to the 5.

On paper, the 5C is mostly identical to the 5 except for the improved front facing camera and slightly larger battery. Having used an iPhone 5 for a while as well, I really enjoyed the additional battery.



Overall I have really enjoyed the 5C and will probably keep using it for a while. Which makes me a little sad that this gem isn’t more popular in Singapore. Actually I have seen tons of news since its launch citing the 5C as a failure. But if you look at the estimates of sales number the iPhone 5C actually performed really well compared to other Android flagship devices.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/06/16/the-iphone-5c-is-not-a-failure-but-this-myth-holds-an-ominous-warning-for-the-iwatch/2/

Lots of company would love to have that kind of sales numbers. The estimated amount of 24 million units is not something to scoff at.



Conclusion? I like the 5C. But I will still probably go for the 5S if I wanted a more permanent phone. It is the flagship device with all the bells and whistle after all. But since the iPhone 6 is coming soon, the 5C was simply meant as a temporary device to tide me over. But I love the colours and aesthetics that the 5C adds to the iPhone lineup, and would love for Apple to continue the trend. I don’t expect a 6C this time round, but perhaps next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment